Sometimes it is more fun and rewarding to watch other people gamble than to do it yourself. It certainly is a lot cheaper! With that in mind, we have compiled our list of the Top 10 gambling related movies every made. Enjoy!
1. “Casino” (1995): Directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro, Sharon Stone, and Joe Pesci, “Casino” is a gritty crime drama that explores the intricate workings of the Mafia’s control over Las Vegas during the 1970s and 80s. The film is based on the true story of a casino executive with ties to the mob.
2. “Rounders” (1998): Starring Matt Damon and Edward Norton, “Rounders” follows a reformed gambler who returns to high-stakes poker to help a friend pay off loan sharks. The film has garnered a cult following, particularly among poker enthusiasts, and is celebrated for its realistic depiction of the poker world.
3. “Ocean’s Eleven” (2001): This star-studded heist film, featuring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Julia Roberts, centers around a plot to rob three Las Vegas casinos simultaneously. While not exclusively about gambling, the film’s setting and plot are deeply entwined with the casino culture.
4. “The Sting” (1973): In this classic film, Paul Newman and Robert Redford play a pair of grifters who pull off an elaborate, high-stakes betting scam. “The Sting” won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and is renowned for its clever plot and charismatic performances.
5. “The Gambler” (1974): James Caan stars in this original film about a college professor with a gambling addiction who falls into debt with the mob. It’s a dark and compelling exploration of addiction, with Caan delivering a powerful performance.
6. “21” (2008): Based on the true story of the MIT Blackjack Team, “21” features a group of brilliant students trained to become experts in card counting. They take Vegas casinos for millions, navigating the thrilling highs and dangerous lows that come with it.
7. “The Hustler” (1961): This classic film stars Paul Newman as “Fast” Eddie Felson, a small-time pool hustler who wants to break into the big leagues. It’s a gripping story of talent, ambition, and the high price of success.
8. “Molly’s Game” (2017): Based on a true story, Jessica Chastain plays Molly Bloom, a former Olympic-class skier who ran the world’s most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade. The film explores themes of power, ambition, and the blurred lines of legality in the underground gambling world.
9. “Hard Eight” (1996): Paul Thomas Anderson’s debut film revolves around Sydney, a seasoned gambler, who takes a young man under his wing, teaching him the tricks of the trade. It’s a compelling exploration of mentorship, loyalty, and the darker side of the gambling world.
10. “Croupier” (1998): This British neo-noir film stars Clive Owen as Jack Manfred, a writer who takes a job as a croupier to make ends meet. The film provides an inside look into the world of casino gambling, as Jack gets sucked into the casino lifestyle and the criminal activities that come with it.